Tuesday, January 11, 2011

C.S. Lewis Quote of the Day

For Christmas, I recieved a book called A Year with C.S. Lewis: Daily Readings from His Classic Works. I am a huge fan of his, and I've been reading it dutifully everyday, sometimes twice.  Now and then I come across really great lines.  Jack (that's what his friends called him) certainly had a way with words (that may be the understatement of the century).  I thought I'd share the particularly good nuggets here...

"What would really satisfy us would be a God who said of anything we happened to like doing, 'What does it matter so long as they are contented?' We want, in fact, not so much a Father in Heaven as a grandfather in heaven..." ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

I would think, anyone who has raised a child through the toddler years can chuckle at the picture these words create, while realizing the somber truth of them as well.  Conviction certainly goes down easier with a spoonful of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment