Thursday, January 27, 2011

C. S. Lewis...

Today's reading was titled, "Being Good." This is what Jack* had to say:

"[T]he Christian is in a different position from other people who are trying to be good.  They [the other people] hope, by being good, to please God if there is one; or--if they think there is not--at least they hope to deserve approval from good men.  But the Christian thinks any good he does comes from the Christ-life inside him.  He does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because he loves us..." (emphasis added)

~From Mere Christianity**

I love this point.  It goes to the heart of the oft-repeated excuse, "I need to straighten my life out before I try to get saved."  My advise to those people is this, You cannot straighten your life out until you get saved.  Indeed, God is the one who does it then, not you.  God is waiting patiently for you to call on him, so that he can straighten your life out and, as Jack says, make you good.

* He was called Jack from the time he was a toddler, so I call him that too : )

**This is an amazing book, and I'd urge every person--Christian or not--to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment