Sunday, October 31, 2010

All Over the Place This Morning

Did I say something above about meandering?  Well today I am definitely meandering.  Enjoy!

First, I want to say Happy Renaissance (rebirth, born again, you all know that right?) to my husband. 

As you know you've read my previous eight posts, my husband is also my pastor.  During his sermons, he's always talking about October 31, 1995, the night he was saved.  Today is fifteen years since that night.   He had to climb over me and two other people to get to the aisle that night, but he didn't let that stop him! Praise God!  It's been a great fifteen years serving God, and I pray he'll have fifty more just like them.

Another thing...

While I showered this morning, I was pondering the meaning of "abundant life."  What came to me was the chorus to the song "Beauty for Ashes," by Crystal Lewis (I think it's her; I haven't actually heard the song in a while).

He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

Abundant life doesn't mean that things will always be good in my life.  It means that with Jesus, I am capable of being joyful even when everything around me brings sorrow.  Now I just hope I can remember that in the midst of my next trial.

What does "abundant life" mean to you?

Next...

I found this verse while studying my Sunday School lesson this morning.

Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.  ~Psalm 63:3

Don't you just love that? David sure had a way with words didn't he.  Don't we wish we had his talent for turning a phrase?  We'd all be best selling authors by now.

The last thing is a little silly...

Is there something you're afraid of? Something silly that you know you shouldn't fear, but you just can't help it?  Something you might be willing to share?

For me it's wasps, well really any buzzing, stinging bug, but mostly wasps.  I am nearly crippled with it.  I love to use my clothes line on a pretty day, but we have a pear tree near it that always draws wasps, hornets, horseflys, you know stinging, biting, buzzing things.  I am simply petrified of them, and every summer, when the dog days hit and the bugs really get thick, I just give up on the clothes line and let the bugs have it because I can't stand them.  I keep praying that one day I'll get some courage and "show them who's boss." So far that's a fantasy.

3 comments:

  1. Ross is afraid of wasps and bees, runs like his pants are afire if one comes at him. So, when I went outside today and saw him on a 20’ ladder and a wasp comes over and lands on him, I cringe. But he doesn’t do anything. I ask “Didn’t you just see that wasp land on your belt?” He nods, “It’s black, not red.” Who knew it was just the red one?
    I have pretty much conquered a two decade fear, I can now sleep with my feet uncovered. Ever since I watched the movie “critters” at a babysitter when I was 7, I have been unable to let my feet (and sometimes my hands and shoulders) be out from under at least a sheet no matter how hot. Might just end up a meal for the furballs with teeth that hide under the bed. But now, I can say, if I realize my feet are uncovered, I can power through it and leave them out 93.7% of the time.
    However, my hands and feet cannot dangle OVER the edge of the mattress. Clearly that would be too much of a temptation for the teethy hairballs. I have never watched another horror movie again, no matter how cheesy because who knows what double decade fear I’ll acquire. I’ve had this desire to actually watch “Critters” again, thinking it has to have ultra-cheezy 80s B movie special effects and could kill my fear, but can’t make myself do it on the flipside chance that I’ll have to go back to 100% covered feet sleeping for another 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, you won a prize in Seekerville. Please email us your address to the Seekerville contact addy.

    Thanks--Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete