Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What I Read Wednesday: Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK by Betsy St. Amant


Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PKFrom the Cover: 
Addison Blakely has never had much trouble pleasing her widowed, overprotective father. After all, he’s a pastor, and she knows her reputation is closely linked to his.  But when the bad boy next door, the cute but arrogant quarterback, and a charming new guy all vie for Addison’s attention, she begins to doubt her resolve. To make matters worse, Addison’s best friend suddenly seems to hate her, a talent show has the entire school at odds, and an exotic foreign exchange student from Germany is shaking everyone up.

Join Addison as she attempt to separate love from lust, facts from faith, and keep her head above water in her murky fishbowl existence.

Andrea’s Take: 
I found myself intrigued with this story when Betsy St. Amant sent out the call for influencers. You see my husband is a pastor, and we have a five year old daughter. In a decade or so (that will seem much shorter, I’m sure), she may find herself  in shoes very similar to Addison Blakely’s, though I hope I’m around to help her then, unlike Addison’s mother.

So, though I’m several years past Young Adult (unless “young at heart” counts), I answered Ms. St. Amant’s call, and I am so glad I did!

This story made time travel possible. It transported me back to the years of high school. I lived again - in a thankfully shorter version - the overwhelming angst and temptation of that time. Addison's struggles are very true to life. And she is a delight to read.  She’s good, but not a goody-two-shoes. She has her little rebellions, but she doesn’t fit the image of PKs gone wild that is often stereotyped. She manages to take the high road mostly, but not always the first time. She is sixteen, after all. 

The story, at its bottom line, is about Addison’s struggle to answer - for herself - the question, “Why Jesus?”  She learns answering that question is the key to answering all the others.

Characters to Watch: Betsy St. Amant has written a wonderful supporting cast for this story. I enjoyed them all, but here are my favorites.

Marta: She is an amazing blessing to Addison. She needs to come back to America and get her own story.
Wes:    Local bad boy, but so much more. I loved him.
Luke:  Every girl should have a friend like Luke.
Claire: That I dislike Claire through much of the book is not surprising, but she comes around. I’d love to see her get her own story too.


*****5 Stars 

I love to give 5-star ratings! And this book earned it. I would not have changed a single thing about it. It’s a great pleasure to say so. Great work, Betsy!

 I received my copy complementary from the publisher, but was not compensated in any way. All opinions are genuine.

No comments:

Post a Comment